[Jython/Java] Which books, which IDEs, which other tools?

F. GEIGER fgeiger at datec.at
Thu Jan 24 02:21:38 EST 2002

I hope this is not too OT, but since Jython *is* Python and since I guess
that many Java programmers hang around here too, I dare to post the
following:

I have decided to give Jython/Java a try. Its seamless integration is very
appealing.

I know there's a book on Jython now but to pull the best out of both worlds
I guess it's best to have books on Java too.

So, here go my questions - but please, let your answers be influenced by the
fact, that I do not consider me being a beginner in programming: MSVC++,
Python, MSVB (but yet *no* Java):

1) Which IDEs are out there for Jython?  Which one do you use?

2) Which IDEs are out there for Java? Which one do you use?

3) Is there an IDE necessary being able to handle *both* languages? Which
one at best? Or do I always need two IDEs?

4) Which books do you recommend on Java? I'd like to read about everything,
not just some core stuff. For Jython I've already ordered Bill's book. Are
books in a style "Java for <whatever> programmers" advisable?

5) Which additional tools should I use / do you use to program in
Jython/Java?

6) Any additional pointers? Things I've not asked but I should know about?

Of course I'll dig for answers myself too, but as the Java world seems to be
a rather big one, I'd like to have some guidance. Hope you don't mind.

Many thanks in advance and best regards
Franz GEIGER