Ruby folks focus on Parrot

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no
Wed Jan 2 11:39:10 EST 2002

In article <3C324DEA.D25CB245 at earthlink.net>, Ron Stephens wrote:
>Just copying this one note from comp.lang.ruby today, to show that Ruby
>folks are real serious about getting aRuby that runs on Parrot, the new
>runtime environment for Perl 6. This poster even asserts how important
>it could be to beat Python to the punch in this regards, so to speak.
>;-)))

Hm. This sounds cool, but then again, so does .NET... And JVM...
I haven't looked at the specs, but I assume that Parrot is better
suited as a backend to Python than the other VMs? I thought one of the
ideas behind this "common VM" stuff was to have one platform where
"everything" runs, but it seems that we're starting to see a
proliferation of such VMs, just like with languages... Maintaining
half a dozen equivalent Python implementations sounds scary (and
error-prone) to me...

Oh, well. I'm sure Parrot is very nice :)

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                           The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                           http://anygui.org