Autocoding project proposal.

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jan 29 01:28:19 EST 2002

"Delaney, Timothy" wrote:

> So why can't you simply provide some sample code (using the VIC commands)
> that should do the same as the supplied Python code?
>
> f = open("myfile.txt")
> l = f.readlines()
> print len(l), " lines"
>
> would translate to precisely what code in VIC?
>
> Or is the above saying that the code would actually be written in Python
> after all, and VIC is just used to run it?

It seems clear at this point, and it would seem he's unwilling
to answer directly to contradict it, that what you would have
to do is first write (or find) an application (or two) with the
capability of doing the above operations, then create a
directory/dictionary of their capabilities in the appropriate
format, then write a VIC script which would dispatch
instructions to those applications to carry out the above
operations.

In other words, VIC itself is so high level as to be
substantially a useless extra layer on top of the applications,
and the proposal amounts to nothing more than requesting
that a standard "side door" interface be created.

In even fewer words, Timothy Rue wants the world to
standardize on an RPC mechanism for all applications.

Or words to that effect.

Denial, Mr. Rue?  With specifics, or just another blanket
"you don't understand, you supposed programmer you"?

With this picture cleared up, I'm ready to accept uncle
Timmy's advice (the *other* uncle Timmy!) and see little
need to continue.  Without actual factual discussion and
examples from the visionary dude, we're truly just
trolling back and forth now.