sockets

Bas van Gils bas.vangils at home.nl
Thu Jan 3 05:44:09 EST 2002

Hi

I am building a `proof of concept' for my final thesis. This involves
some socket-programming. I was new to this subject so I read some man
pages and the relevant chapters from "Programming Python" (2nd edition).
Here's what I came up with (in interactive mode):

    >>> from socket import *
    >>> sockobj = socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM)
    >>> sockobj.connect( ("kubsuw.kub.nl",7124) )
    >>> sockobj.recv(1024)
    'Welcome to the Tagdemo server.\n'
    >>> sockobj.send("Dit is een test .\n")
    18
    >>> data = sockobj.recv(1024)
    >>> print data
    Dit//NNP is/VBZ een//RB test/VB ./.

Since this worked fine I moved it to a script:

    from socket import *

    sockobj = socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM)
    sockobj.connect( ("kubsuw.kub.nl",7124) )

    # the server sends a welcome-mesg
    sockobj.recv(1024)

    # send a test-line to the tagger
    # receive the data and print it
    sockobj.send("Dit is een test .\\n")
    data = sockobj.recv(4096)
    print data

    # close the socket
    sockobj.close()
    print "end"

However, that didn't word:

    bas at kubstu2:~$ python c2.py
    Welcome to the Tagdemo server.

    Dit
    end

I found this rather odd.... I asked around with my collegues but they
couldn't help out. Anyone on the list have a suggestion?

many thanx in advance

    Bas

--
Bas van Gils <bas.vangils at home.nl>   -    http://members.home.nl/bas.vangils
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.