History of 'self' and why not at least 'my'?

Elf Sternberg elf at drizzle.com
Fri Jan 11 12:56:07 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1010759724.4703.python-list at python.org>
    "Mark McEahern" <marklists at mceahern.com> writes:

>Typing 'my' is somewhat awkward, since you have to use the right index
>finger twice, moving it from 'm' to 'y', neither of which is the
>resting key for that finger.

        "Self" isn't all that comfortable anyway, since the 'lf'
combination has to be one of the hardest to hit.  It involves an awkward
twist of the right wrist to hit the 'l' with the pinky, 'l' being the
rightmost letter on the top row, followed by another awkward twist in
the opposite direction, 'f' being the leftmost letter of the right hand
on the top row.  "My" involves significantly less motion from my hands.

        But I'll stick to 'self,' just for convention's sake.  If I
wanted to worry about my typing, I'd use "this", which is all letters on
the home row.

                Elf

--
Elf M. Sternberg, Immanentizing the Eschaton since 1988
http://www.drizzle.com/~elf/       (under construction)

I have seen the light.  I was not impressed.