Herbrip: effort-free email encryption

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 12:56:42 EST 2002

I have just released version 0.4.0 of Herbrip, an email encryption
system with these features:

  * uses strong public-key and symmetric-key encryption

  * outgoing emails are automatically encrypted, and incoming
    emails automatically decrypted -- no human effort needed

  * your public key is automatically sent to all correspondents

  * your correspondents' public keys are automatically stored
    by Herbrip, so you don't have to manually exchange or manage
    keys

  * email attachments are automatically encrypted

  * headers that might help an adversary, such as the Subject:
    line, are automatically encrypted

  * in fact, once set up, Herbrip does everything automatically

Herbrip is part of my Herbivore initiative to encourage more
people to  use encrypted email. Herbrip is a command-line
implementation of the Herbivore protocol (the name stands for
"Herbivore Reference Implementation in Python").

Herbrip contains a working encryption engine, and ways of
integrating it into a Unix email system (MUAs and MTAs). Once
set up, it should be transparent in normal operation. Herbrip
is pre-alpha software; so, while it works, I don't particularly
recommend it for intensive use yet.

Herbrip was developed under Linux, but should work with any
Unix-like system.

The main change in Version 0.4.0 is the addition of "hooks" so
it can automatically read and process incoming and outgoing
email. Herbrip is now ready to connect up to your existing email
client and MTA.

Herbrip is available from:
  <http://www.vision25.demon.co.uk/oss/herbivore/herbrip.html>

The Herbivore home page is at:
  <http://www.vision25.demon.co.uk/oss/herbivore/intro.html>

Herbrip is licenced under the GNU GPL.

--
===== Philip Hunt ===== philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk =====
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,