what can i expect...

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 3 01:04:27 EDT 2002

"Delaney, Timothy" wrote:

> > From: Shagshag13 [mailto:shagshag13 at yahoo.fr]
> >
> > what can i expect if i change my python application to java ?
> > (or when do you think it's time to change parts of python
> > code to java ? for what purposes ?)
>
> Apart from the other (very well reasoned answers) ...
>
> The only time you would generally want to change python code to java is so
> you can run on a JVM or interface with java code.
>
> In which case you do *not* want to convert your code to java. Instead, you
> want to run your Python code on a JVM.
>
>         http://www.jython.org/

How about, "If you want your multi-threaded code to
run faster on a multi-CPU system"? That's really the
only advantage of Java over Python that I see: its
threading implementation is clearly better. But
I still wonder if Jython threads acquire the Global
Interpreter Lock (or if the GIL exists in Jython
at all)?

-- Joe