Why self?

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Tue Jul 9 14:18:17 EDT 2002

> Tell you what. You're a smart guy (not sarcastic, I mean it).  Why not
> apply your considerable knowledge to finding a solution to the issue of
> requiring "self."  prefixes?  It's apparent that lots of people would
> like to lose that requirement.  I'm sure you can demolish my
> off-the-cuff suggestion at some point.  I'm a bush-league amateur. But
> when you do that you will turn around to see that the issue itself is
> still there.  What would you do?

You say that lots of people would like to lose the requirement.  My guess is
that's not true.  It may appear true, since this topic does come up every so
often and the people who think it's a problem are often quite insistent
about it.

What you don't see, of course, is all the people who are silent because
they're quite happy with self. prefixes and consider this a pointless
discussion usually kept alive by people who refuse to learn the idioms of
Python to their best advantage.

Cheers,

// mark

-