GUI toolkits

JB jb at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 24 07:31:16 EDT 2002

Stefano Vedovelli wrote:

> Hello all
>
> in my spare time I am writing a tool in python, with the
> intention of deliver it under GPL.
>
> I am now starting to approach the GUI part. I have read a
> lot about Tkinter, PyQT and wxWindows, but I am now
> actually even more confused.
>
> As the interface will be "quite" rich, I'd like to know
> the opinions of people who already faced this decision,
> which tool they have chosen and why.

I have chosen PyQt, as Qt is itself excellent and PyQt is
excellent as well.
In my opinion Qt is superior to Tk, though you may get
problems if you your OS is Ms-Windows.
Tkinter is a nice product but suffers somewhat from the
limitations of Tk. You may want to need the Tk megawidgets,
that is a set of additional widgets for Tkinter, but I had
problems with it.
Then you may study pygtk. Gtk+ is excellent as well but I
had problems with pygtk.

--
JB