Message Queueing

Juan Carlos CORUÑA jcc at ibdosnorte.com
Mon Jul 8 05:50:16 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm new to this group but not to python.

I'm testing different solutions to implement message queueing between
Zope (http://www.zope.org), that is written in python, and the
Navision ERP (http://www.navision.com), that supports COM (I will try
to develop a Visual Basic dll to interface with the selected message
queueing system). So, I need a message queueing system with bindings
to python and visual basic/COM.

At the moment I have checked the following MOMs:
- Spread (http://www.spread.org): Does not implement message queueing.
Active project.

- Open3 (http://www.open3.org): Does not have python bindings yet and
uses JMS that is very complicated. No news on their web since January,
is it active?

- Isectd (http://pweb.netcom.com/~tgagne/index.html): Does not
implement queues, and seems to be not very active. Not visual
basic/COM bindings.

- Jabber (http://www.jabber.org): queues?

- MUSCLE (http://www.lcscanada.com/muscle/index.html): Does not
support queueing. Does not have Visual Basic/COM bindings. Active
project.

- OpenQueue (http://openqueue.sourceforge.net/): Last update on July,
2000.

- OSE (http://ose.sourceforge.net/): Only libraries. Must make a big
effort to implement such a solution.

- SwiftMQ (http://www.swiftmq.com/): uses JMS, not open source.

- XMLBlaster (http://www.xmlblaster.org/): uses CORBA and xml-rpc. I
tested it some time ago with poor results. Maybe someone can give me a
better opinion.

- XmlMom (http://www.xmlmom.org/): Young project. Last update May.
Robustness? I tried to test it, but since it requires a lot of third
party libraries, that I must install apart, I gave up. Maybe, someone
can tell me about this program.

In my opinion, Open3, XmlMom and XMLBlaster are the best options.
I have tested Open3 and developed some programs in python that
implements part of JMS, since Open3 uses JMS. And, now before
continuing the development of the python bindings to open3, since it
implies to create a JMS implementation in python, I like to hear the
opinions of people in the same situations.