Python and Parrot

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Jul 16 09:23:05 EDT 2002

In article <agskkn$o6o3d$1 at ID-125932.news.dfncis.de>,
Christopher Browne  <cbbrowne at acm.org> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
>A not-so-idle idle thought:
>
>It might be a neat idea, instead of buying a $40 book from some of
>these folks that _maybe_ they get $2 out of, to go with the
>online/electronic version and send them a $20 in the mail.
>
>If a few thousand people did that, I suppose O'Reilly or Addison
>Wesley might be somewhat chagrined, but it would certainly pump _your_
>money more directly to the authors and "prime mover" types...
			.
			.
			.
Books are a hilariously inefficient way to finance their
authors.  The only advantage they have is that they're
often better than any of the alternatives.

Anyone with ideas for new "business models" has ripe fields
for experimentation.

Note that effbot's in a position of leadership on this
topic, with his electronic guides.

In less of a change of subject than it might seem, how
come Tkinter people aren't forever wondering, "How do I
embed a foreign application (display) in a Tkinter frame?"
It's the kind of question other toolkit users ask often;
why not Tkinter, too?
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net