Python design failures (was Re: Let's Talk About Lambda Func

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Jul 30 05:21:35 EDT 2002

Neil Schemenauer <nas at python.ca> writes:

> Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > I could submit a patch for the repr cleanup in pretty short order.
>
> Guido's not big on this kind of "hit and run" cleanup.

It scares the crap out of *me* when people do this.  Don't know what
it does to Guido.

> He prefers it if someone looks at the entire module while
> modernizing it.

I think a good strategy is: if you are working on a module *anyway*
(adding new functionality, fixing bugs, whatever) then it's reasonable
to modernize the style while you're at it (though it's sensible to do
the style changes and the code changes in different checkins).  The
theory being that if you're working on a module, you hope you
understand what you're changing...

Cheers,
M.

--
  I never disputed the Perl hacking skill of the Slashdot creators.
  My objections are to the editors' taste, the site's ugly visual