Problem - how to solve it ?

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Wed Jul 31 17:09:09 EDT 2002

"A" <printers at sendme.cz> wrote in news:mailman.1028141984.27306.python-
list at python.org:
> I have a program that I compiled( with Installer) into exe for using
> on Win32 systems. It works well on Windows Me, Windows 9x but
> on some computers with Windows 2000 it causes General
> Protection Error and the programs is finished. It would be nice if the
> program wrote a line number or something similar that could help a
> user find out which command caused that General Protection
> Error. Is there any solution for that?

you could try to debug it with a C debugger, but then you would need to
recomile everything with debug libs etc. anyway, it's likely that soem
extension module accesses memory it shouldn't and only NT based windows
care about that.

maybe you could tell us what extensions/libaries you use, so that we can
get an idea what went wrong.
e.g. i had crashes with wxPython it doesn't protect you from the c++
implementation of wxWindws in all respects. sometimes when one does
"dispose()" an object (like a wxFrame) and works with it again a protection
error can occour.

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>