Link checking, POST logins, and cookies

Travis B. Hartwell nafai at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jul 5 17:28:40 EDT 2002

Hi all,
  I am in need of a link checking program for a web application I am
  developing.  I have looked at linkchecker
  (http://linkchecker.sf.net), but it doesn't quite do what I need.
  Our web application requires users to log into the website via a page
  that uses POST logins.  Then, a cookie is stored in the session to
  keep them logged in.

  Here's the problem.  I have successfully been able to log into the
  website with a script I wrote with Webunit (http://webunit.sf.net/),
  and I would have liked to tie the two together since webunit can do
  the logins, cookies, and keep the session.  Unfortunately, I saw no
  straightforward way of doing this.

  I e-mailed the author about this (he was quite prompt and helpful,
  thanks!), but unfortunately they are incompatible.  He gave me a
  suggestion to try with the beta version of linkchecker, but alas, it
  didn't work.

  This leaves me with this question...has any one else done this?  I'm
  sure this is a common thing, would it not be?  Any help or pointers
  would be appreciated.

Travis