Web templating/db tool with best designer/coder separation?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Tue Jul 2 16:28:53 EDT 2002

Stefan Franke <franke at ableton.com> wrote in message news:<0663iuskkqrjui7rg4ut5b80vmo556jo8k at 4ax.com>...

> HTML offers a standard way to address tags by using id attributes.
> Can't we leave the HTML alone, just mark the affected tags by giving
> them IDs, and put all the replacement/iteration commands into a
> separate place?

This is what Enhydra's XMLC does, and one uses a DOM-like API to
access the elements marked in this way in the document. I've been
experimenting with a system which doesn't modify or replicate the
elements programmatically; instead, the marked elements reflect the
structure of the data being presented.

> What do you think about it? There might well be big things I
> left out of consideration, since I'm quite out of web business (my
> last bigger project was with Zope 1.10.2 and its DTML...).

I think that this is really the way to go for anyone interested in
investigating the subject area further, rather than inventing yet
another "source code in HTML" solution and hoping to find out new ways
of working from that.

Paul