Python and Eclipse

Gerhard Kalab kalab at gmx.net
Tue Jul 9 04:14:54 EDT 2002

Joseph A Knapka <jknapka at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<3D18D159.2F66A9E8 at earthlink.net>...
> Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> > Concerning elipse and python, I think there are 2 roads.
> > The first one is using jpe (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpe) the
> > python-java framework. I've tried it some time ago... and I managed to
> >   execute python code from a java VM (a jython prompt in reality! ;) but
> > I stopped there. Perhaps Frederic Giacometti and jython folks can give
> > some help!
> >
> > The second one is to use socket (is possible?) to connect to a python
> > server application... (with the plus that switching various python
> > versions is very easy)... and move some logic in python (fast
> > development times ;)
> >
> > The problem, as usual It's that I have no time ;(
>
> I think the latter is the best way. It's not clear, though,
> that these are the only two roads. But in any case, we must
> IMO be able to debug code under any Python version, preferably
> selectable among a number of different installed versions
> on the same machine (Eclipse allows this with the JVM, so
> I don't see why it would be a problem for Python). That
> way we could support CPython and Jython equally well.

I've had a quick look at HAP remote debugger and it looks promising.
The client part has to be compiled whith each CPython version. I don't
know about Jython. IMHO it's the fastest way to get startet since the
client portion can be used immediately.

I've put something to start at
http://www.kalab.com/freeware/pythoneclipse/pythoneclipse.htm
Included is an incomplete Python editor and the possibility to launch
Python scripts. Currently it's only possible to specify one python
interpreter for the launch configurations.

Gerhard