uniform interface for MySQL & MSSQL

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Jul 16 05:02:38 EDT 2002

Johann wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:38:28 GMT, Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it>
> wrote:
>
>>Have you tried:
>>http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/mssql/
>
> It does not work. I tried to compile it under Cygwin but some files
> (*.h) are missing :-(
>
> In file included from mssqldb.c:25:
> mssqldb.h:37: sybfront.h: No such file or directory
> mssqldb.h:38: sybdb.h: No such file or directory

Looks like you need freetds (or a Sybase installation, of
course) -- http://www.freetds.org/

> I found this module have no cursor.seek(nr) method. :(

Method seek is not part of the DBAPI standard, so it's hardly
surprising that DBAPI compliant modules may lack it:-).  (To be
honest, I didn't even know mysqldb supplied that...).

I hear a rumor that the DB SIG may be discussing a new version
of the standard: maybe you should have a look at their mlist and
lobby a bit for a seek method to be introduced in that new
version.  Of course this doesn't help you today.

For a shorter-term fix, you might try win32api and ADO as a
way to interface to Microsoft SQL -- not too hard to put a
thin DBAPI compatible interface on top of that.  I did that
for think3, back when I worked there (but the code stayed
with them and we never got around to discussing opensourcing
some of the various pieces of code I wrote for them over
the years -- don't hold your breath for THAT, sigh).  As I
recall, it's a week's work, tops.

Alex