Let's Talk About Lambda Functions!

Jonathan Hogg jonathan at onegoodidea.com
Tue Jul 30 08:21:56 EDT 2002

On 30/7/2002 12:29, in article ukcu02su9a7r5b at news.supernews.com, "John
Roth" <johnroth at ameritech.net> wrote:

> Why bother with the restrictions? Fredrik had the right idea when
> he said that we needed something to make it obvious that functions
> are first class objects. That is, allow anonamous functions anywhere
> you can have a function object.

How far does one go? Classes are first-class objects, should we also have
anonymous classes?

>>> foo = (class:
...            def __init__( self, x y ):
...                self.x = x
...                self.y = y

>>> foo.x
5

I'm a fan of lambda, but when a function is complex enough that it can't be
done in an in-(one-)line lambda then it should be pulled out and given a
name.

Jonathan