uniform interface for MySQL & MSSQL

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Tue Jul 16 06:39:29 EDT 2002

Alex> Johann wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:38:28 GMT, Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried: http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/mssql/
>>  It does not work. I tried to compile it under Cygwin but some
>> files (*.h) are missing :-(
>>
>> In file included from mssqldb.c:25: mssqldb.h:37: sybfront.h: No
>> such file or directory mssqldb.h:38: sybdb.h: No such file or
>> directory error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

Alex> Looks like you need freetds (or a Sybase installation, of
Alex> course) -- http://www.freetds.org/

I must be blind or something - I just noticed this thread.

I stopped doing active development on the MSSQL module when I realised
that MS had effectively abandoned the DB library in favour of ADO.
If this is not the case I would be interested in hearing the good/bad
news.

If you are using Linux to talk to an MS SQL Server then you will
probably be much more successful using my Sybase module and FreeTDS.
This page explains how to get it compiled.

        http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/sybase/sybase/node5.html

I have only tried compiling with the 0.53 release of FreeTDS which has
quite a few bugs.  I understand that the CVS snapshots are much much
better.

I have a set of patches to merge into the 0.35pre1 release - I am
going to do a new release any day soon.  The patches are all to make
the Sybase module work better with FreeTDS.

>> I found this module have no cursor.seek(nr) method. :(

Alex> Method seek is not part of the DBAPI standard, so it's hardly
Alex> surprising that DBAPI compliant modules may lack it:-).  (To be
Alex> honest, I didn't even know mysqldb supplied that...).

What does the method do?

Alex> For a shorter-term fix, you might try win32api and ADO as a way
Alex> to interface to Microsoft SQL -- not too hard to put a thin
Alex> DBAPI compatible interface on top of that.  I did that for
Alex> think3, back when I worked there (but the code stayed with them
Alex> and we never got around to discussing opensourcing some of the
Alex> various pieces of code I wrote for them over the years -- don't
Alex> hold your breath for THAT, sigh).  As I recall, it's a week's
Alex> work, tops.

There are a few things that you can try.  Spend some time evaluating
all of the options (while your stamina holds out).

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au