Q: Status of MySQL & Python?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Mon Jul 1 00:59:34 EDT 2002

* John Hall <wweexxsseessssaa at telusplanet.net> [2002-07-01 04:35 +0000]:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 05:33:16 +0200, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> >* John Hall <wweexxsseessssaa at telusplanet.net> [2002-07-01 03:12 +0000]:
> >> When trying to run the dbBrowser from Samples, MySQLdb/__init__.py
> >> does a traceback in line #27 because _mysql is not found. Sure 'nuff,
> >> I don't have that. I do have souce C source: _mysql.c

Here you tell you have a _mysql.c file lying around.

> > [...]
> Hi Gerhard,
> thanks for the quick reply, but I did NOT D'L the source distribution,
> but the binary for Windows.

Now you tell me you have used the Windows installer. This one doesn't
include any C source files.

Did you really execute MySQL-python-0.9.1.win32-py2.2.exe (replace 2.2
as appropriate), didn't you?

> Then I ran Setup,
> did the c:\mysql\bin mysql-nt --install
> then started the service,
> then got MySQL Studio and created a database & a table.
> I definitely have not compiled anything.
>
> Should I have a _mysql library or _mysql.py file somewhere?

Yes. Under Python 2.2 there will be a MySQL package in site-packages and
a .pyd and a module for the exceptions also in site-packages. In earlier
Python versions, I think they're installed directly into the Python
installation directory. Short and sweet, it doesn't find your
_mysql.pyd.

I've heard from one user who had strange problems that he could only
explain with FAT32 or NTFS weirdness (don't remember which filessystem
he used). The zip file I gave him solved his problem:

http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/downloads/MySQL-python-0.9.1-Python22.zip

it can be installed by unzipping it, changing into the created directory
on a command prompt and running "python setup.py install" yourself.

If you have the same problem and this workaround works for you, please
keep me updated.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930