Python design failures (was Re: Let's Talk About Lambda Func

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Jul 29 17:50:10 EDT 2002

[Neil Schemenauer]
> Guido's not big on this kind of "hit and run" cleanup.  He prefers it if
> someone looks at the entire module while modernizing it.  Keep in mind
> though, I'm an amateur when it coming to channelling the BDFL and he
> might tell you differently himself.

[Sean 'Shaleh' Perry]
> That is a reasonable attitude.
>
> Comments from the direct python hackers?  Would more work on the lib be
> welcomed?  Do we want the standard library to be a good example
> of python best practices? (sorry i know that sounds like a loaded
> question).

Best practice is, as Neil said, to *think* about a module, and hard, when
"cleaning it up".  Widespread mechanical edits aren't welcome, and
especially since the last such effort (massive conversion to string methods)
introduced several bugs in the process.  Better to find modules to love
long-term and keep them deeply beautiful, than to splash paint on boils at
random just to cover up the oozing pus <gross wink>.