Console Installation

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Tue Jul 30 17:49:23 EDT 2002

[Tim Peters wrote]
> [Mathieu Belanger]
> > We have many PC installed everywhere in the entire country (Canada) and
> > we want to install python 2.2 on each one. The only way for now to do
> > that is to log into each PC with PCAnywhere and run the Wise installer.
> > It is a way too slow.
> >
> > Is there a console installer that don't have to be interactive??
> > I've search for that everywhere and didn't find anything!
> >
> > All our PC run WinNT4.

<snip>
> If that (particularly /S) doesn't do the trick, I'd suggest contacting
> ActiveState.  Their installer (well, at least one of them) is built on MSI
> technology, which may be more friendly to remote admin-driven installation.

ActivePython packages are .msi's (i.e. Windows Installer tech). Here are
command line options that you can use to install any .msi package
(and thus ActivePython).
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/over_73eb.asp

ActivePython's installation notes show you how to install silently from
the command line:
    http://aspn.activestate.com//ASPN/Reference/Products/ActivePython/RELEASE.html#windows%20(x86)

like this:
    C:\> msiexec /i <msi_file> /q

As well, I have heard of one being able to remotely install MSI packages
via Microsoft's SMS (Systems Management Server). However, I have no
experience with it.

Cheers,
Trent

--