newbie question on Fredrik Lundh's simple script

John Boik johnboik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 2 15:54:53 EDT 2002

Hello.  I am new to Python and Tkinter and was trying out the Fredrik Lundh
scripts from "An Introduction to Tkinter", and ran across a problem.  BTW, I
am running the latest version of Python on a windows XP system.  His simple
Hello2.py script does not act as it should on my machine, I think.  The
script is:

# File: hello2.py

from Tkinter import *

class App:

    def __init__(self, master):

        frame = Frame(master)

        frame.pack()

        self.button = Button(frame, text="QUIT", fg="red",
command=frame.quit)

        self.button.pack(side=LEFT)

        self.hi_there = Button(frame, text="Hello", command=self.say_hi)

        self.hi_there.pack(side=LEFT)

    def say_hi(self):

        print "hi there, everyone!"

root = Tk()

app = App(root)

root.mainloop()

Here is the problem.  The frame pops up OK, but when I press the Quit button
nothing happens.  When I press it twice, Python shuts down.  According to
the script (command=frame.quit), the Quit button is only supposed  to close
the frame, not shut down Python.  Any ideas on what may be happening?

Thanks.  John