Let's Talk About Lambda Functions!

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat Jul 27 16:50:50 EDT 2002

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Carl Banks wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry if it seemed like I was trolling.
>
> Oh, sorry, I didn't mean you.  I meant the "lambda lovers have
> childhood traumas" guy.  If he cannot defend his position with-
> out stuff like that, it must be a pretty worthless position.

I can defend my position, or attack yours, in many different
ways, but I've noticed that ways that tend to elicit smiles
(albeit delivered in my usual deadpan style) also tend to stick
better and more effectively in many humans' minds.  Haven't
you noticed the same effect in your occasional, wry attempts
at humor?

> If you like lambdas, use them.  All the best pythoneers do, so why
> shouldn't you?

On the other hand, implied put-downs such as this one (which
logically implies "if you don't use lambdas, you're not among
the best pythoneers") are only effective if they're allowed to
operate subliminally; once brought to light as bullying attempts,
they lose most of their effectiveness.

Alex