Embedding Python the extreme way

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jul 10 08:13:37 EDT 2002

Wolfgang Draxinger <wdraxinger at darkstargames.de> writes:

> For my current 3D engine project I decided to use Python as a
> important part of the whole design. And it works well.

OK.

> However, now I want to make python an integal part of the engine, not
> just a external lib. And I not want to statically link it with the
> engine.

To me these sentences contradict each other.  So I must be missing
something...

> My goal is, to discard all modules and builtin functions that I
> don't need, e.g. sys. It's intended to control the 3D engine, not to
> write complex scripts.

For the modules, just don't build them.  You really don't want to try
getting rid of sys, btw.

For getting rid of builtin functions, why bother?

> Can anybody give me some advice for that.

Yes: don't.

> Embedding Python and writing extension modules is no problem at all,
> just "cleaning" the python sources. My base is Python 2.2.1

Cheers,
M.

PS: I saw that you x-posted this to python-dev.  Please don't do that.

--
93. When someone says "I want a programming language in which I
    need only say what I wish done," give him a lollipop.