Which gui for slow (133 Mhz) pc

Francesco S. scrutinizer at gmx.at
Wed Jul 24 14:38:38 EDT 2002

On 22 Jul 2002 18:35:20, (Dave Brueck) wrote:

> (Francesco S.) wrote in message news:<3d3b9eaa.7275472 at news.utanet.at>...
>> Hello,
>>
>> What gui can you recommend for my slow pc (win95).
>>
>> I was impressed by the Wxpython demo.
>> But for developing, the startup speed for a simple hello world app
>> with about 10 sec is not acceptable for me.

Hello Dave,
thanks for your reply.

>Another option is to just do "normal" Win32 GUI programming using the
>win32 (Mark Hammond's) Python extensions. Actually, you have 2
>GUI code, or you can write Python code that looks nearly equivalent to
>C Win32 GUI code. Either way you'll have very fast load times and your
>program itself will be quite small (no huge libraries to ship with
>it).

That's an alternative.

Do I have to compile anything? (I know, stupid question, but I'm an
absolute beginner in python, beside, I have a little experience in
C/C++ and windows.

>The downside of course is that you have to do more of the work
>yourself, but I've used this approach in a few programs and it worked
>well for me. The extensions come with a few examples to get you
>started, and if you have experience writing the equivalent C/C++ code
>then development actually goes quite fast.
>
>Anyway, it's something to consider..
>-Dave

Following another thread, Qt seems to be also a very interesting
alternative, I don't know now, if I should spend some time to examine
the pyqt libraries, but this is another story, I think ...

best regards,
--
Francesco