Splitting Text files

Brandon Beck bbeck at REMOVE-THIS-TO-EMAIL-ME.austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 3 02:49:46 EDT 2002

Ken Seergobin wrote:
> X-No-Archive:Yes
>

> I've looked around, but have been unable to locate a
> good example of how to split a text file.  Specifically,
> I have datafiles with an identification line marked
> with the name of a BMP  file followed by many lines of
> data.  This repeats a number of times for each datafile.
> Within the data lines I'm only interested in extracting the
> those with a specific keyword.  Ultimately, I'd like to have
> a datafile for each BMP listed in the original file.
>
> Suggestions would be appreciated.  I really couldn't make
> sense of the regular expression notes I found.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

I've written something to do exactly this, with the data all on one
line, not spanning multiple lines.  It obviously not exactly what you
want but it should give you a good base to work off of if you're
interested in extending it.

Main directory:
	http://isomorphism.org/~bbeck/splitter/

Splitting algorithm: