Making code 2.1 compatible

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Jul 22 09:18:55 EDT 2002

"Donn Cave" <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:ah1ik8$ebm$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu...
> Quoth Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net>:
> ...(quoting me)
> |> Matter of perspective.  I would probably have picked 2.2 if it
> |> had been left to me, just because it's current.  But when I've
> |> proposed it in the past I've suggested the recently out-of-current
> |> release, because that makes it immediately an issue.
> |
> | Toward what end?  They're business people, not Crusaders <wink>.
>
> Oh, don't be so hard on them, sure they're crusaders (though not in
> the sense of the European military adventures some centuries back or
> the popular music group known in better days as Jazz Crusaders.)
> They aren't going to be as hasty and radical, but I bet you won't be
> disappointed, they're on their way.  (Now if a certain Redmond, Wa.
> software company were in the host, I'd sweat it, but "business people"
> here seems to be actually a pretty respectable assemblage.)

Well, as business people there's nothing to stop them keeping their
(early-version-compatible) source in such a way that version upgrade is a
relatively simple matter. "Relatively" means that they probably aren't
expecting to do such engineering work for less popular packages, which
wouldn't justify the effort.

If Python were ever to sprout macroprocessing capabilities, their greatest
value to me would perhaps be in allowing more flexibility when producing
multi-platform mullti-version code. Of course, such a mechanism cannot be
part of Python until Guido goes back in the time machine and fixes things so
it was in from the start.

I'm tempted to apply for PBF membership just to lower the tone (though if
they'd have me, would I want to join?).

marx-brother-fan-before-python-ly y'rs  - steve
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/