I'd give up Perl tomorrow if only...

brueckd at tbye.com brueckd at tbye.com
Tue Jul 2 03:48:24 EDT 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, holger krekel wrote:

> > > But somehow one doesn't hear it very often from people who've been using
> > > Python for a long time
> >
> > Just to chime in - Aahz hit the nail on the head here... for whatever
> > reason, *not* having a CPAN thingy just isn't that painful right now.
>
> I somewhat disagree.  IMO the standard-lib approach doesn't scale very well.
> Python seems to get to a stage where the google-path doesn't cut it, either.

I don't think it scales that well, either, and I agree that it's not
the best long-term solution, but for now it seems to be an
important-but-not-urgent type of problem. That's why I think it's a good
idea to keep working on a solution. IOW, if one's focus is on the present
and they say, "we need CPYN" I say, "nah", but if one's focus is on the
future I say, "yeah". :)

> >From Guidos keynote at EuroPython i recall some statistics about python's
> growth.  A Comprehensive Python Network (CPYN) could accomodate and support
> this growth. Better sooner than later, not?

Sure... I'm just musing that (1) when it becomes urgent (or a little
sooner) I'm fully confident it'll get built and that (2) not being too
urgent is why it hasn't happened yet.

-Dave