ZPT Was: Good XML tools?

Thomas Guettler zopestoller at thomas-guettler.de
Wed Jul 31 07:01:07 EDT 2002

Alan Kennedy wrote:

> Laurent Szyster wrote:
>
>>In many case (if not most) XML processing is far easier with a
>>dedicated language like XSLT. Use Python to generate XML and/or
>>XSLT, but don't use it to transform XML: XSLT is far better at it.
>>

> I strongly disagree.
>
> Have you looked at Zope Page Templates at all? ZPT is a way of
> controlling the generation of (X|HT)ML from python.
>
> It is my own opinion that ZPT and Python is far superior to XSLT, for
> the following reasons.

[cut]

I programmed with ZPT, but I switched back to generating HTML
with pure python:

Example: (ignore the german words)
     def editListsForm(self, REQUEST):
         "docstring"
         ret=[]
         ret.append(self.standard_html_header())
         ret.append('''
          <form action="editListsAction">
           <b>Projekte:</b>
           Bitte wählen Sie die zu löschenden Projekte aus: <br><br>
           %s
           Hinzufügen eines neuen Projekts:
           <input type="text" name="new_projekt">
           <input type="submit" value="Ausführen">
          </form>''' %(
             Utils.keywordInput('del_projekt',
                                self.defaults.GRS.grs_projektList())))
         ret.append(self.standard_html_footer())
         return string.join(ret)

I switched to python from ZPT because python always gives me the
line number where the typo/bug is. I wasted too much time searching
an error message that happend in an eval().

If I have to create HTML or XML from an XML source I write a SAX parser
store the data in python classes or dictionaries and then serialize it to
XML or HTML.

I prefer this to the magic done by ZPT or DTML

  thomas