VisAD/Jython or PyOpenGL for 2D/3D cellular automata?

Ralph Richard Cook ralphc at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 7 15:06:20 EDT 2002

I'm plowing through Stephen Wolfram's 'A New Kind of Science' and
would like to make some 3D cellular automata. Since this is a fun
project for me I want to use Python since it's a fun language, right?
:)

Looking around I see two main alternatives, VisAD with Jython or
PyOpenGL. I was wondering what experience people had with either of
these packages, either good or bad, and if they had any insights as to
which would be better suited for this, not making static pictures but
"winding up" the cellular automata and letting the graphs change with
time, adding and deleting cells, etc.

Thanks,
Ralph