Python's Lisp heritage

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue Jul 16 01:38:34 EDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:41:11 -0400, Carl Banks <imbosol at vt.edu> wrote:

>Christopher Browne wrote:
>> From a paper on Emacs:
>
>Incidentally, I'd like a reference to this paper.  I hope it's not
>something that appeared in a scholarly journal, because it's flatly
>wrong.  (I think it more likely to be someone at Perl conference in
>1992 trying to justify the local statement. :)

googling for "Some language designers believe that dynamic binding should be"

yields
    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html

and an April post by Christopher
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-April/100306.html

but this looks like it was originally by RMS:

    http://www.daemoncode.com/hacker/AI-519a.php

--
MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY ARTIFICIAL
                    INTELLIGENCE LABORATORY

AI Memo 519a                                26 March 1981
EMACS The Extensible, Customizable Self-Documenting
Display Editor

by

Richard M. Stallman

Abstract: EMACS is a display editor which is implemented in an
interpreted high level language. This allows users to extend the
editor by replacing parts of it, to experiment with alternative
command languages, and to share extensions which are generally
useful. The ease of extension has contributed to the growth of a
large set of useful features. This paper describes the organization
of the EMACS system, emphasizing the way in which extensibility
is achieved and used.

This report describes work done at the Artificial Intelligence
Laboratory of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Support
for the Laboratory's research is provided in part by the Advanced
Research Projects Agency of the Department of Defense under
Office of Naval Research contract N00014--80--C--0505.

A truncated version of this paper appeared in the proceedings of
the ACM SIGPLAN/SIGOA Symposium on Text Manipulation,
Portland Oregon, June 1981.

Copyright © MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
1981.

[This version was done in the interest of accessibility by Dave Love
d.love at dl.ac.uk with Texinfo markup of an OCRed version of the
raw scanned pages from
ftp://publications.ai.mit.edu/classic-hits/AIM-519A.ps.
Corrections to transcription errors would be appreciated.]
--

Looks like you can go one more step, to the .ps.

google is wonderful if you have a verbatim phrase, and great if you don't ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter