Serial Port Returning Garbage. Why?

bowman bowman at montana.com
Wed Jul 17 00:15:48 EDT 2002

max wrote:

> No, I'm not. It's just Transmit, Receive, and Ground. Our device
> doesn't use any of the other signals, and the implementation doesn't
> use QON/QOFF. Would it make a significant difference if I do?

It might, if the slave end is a relatively slow device. For instance, the
older SBC UARTs or microcontroller internal UARTs might not be able to keep
up with the transmission, particularly if they have to do something with
each byte as it is received. Usually the receiver will use a DTR signal to
indicate it is busy, and the sender won't start the next byte until the
receiver is ready. I'm assuming by 3 wires, you mean RX, TX and GND, so
even if the hardware handshake is being attempted, it won't be seen across
the cable.

It is hard to say without knowing your setup. It is possible when you test
with HyperTerminal, you are typing the command in, so it really is sent
very slowly, but in the working system the master sends the command string
much faster and they are getting out of sync.

Or, it could just be that HyperTerm is setting the start/stop bits, parity,
or something a little differently. I don't think it is the baud rate, since
that usually results in all garbage characters.