Python very slow on the Sharp Zaurus - any idea why?

Alexandre Courbot alexandrecourbot at linuxgames.com
Mon Jul 22 17:19:16 EDT 2002

> > Note also that I
> > had to cross-compile the Python library myself from Python 2.2
> > sources, as there is no lightweight Python distribution for the Arm.
>
> Actually..... there is. I haven't used it myself, but it can be found
> here:
>
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/zaurus/index.php

Yep, I had a first look there of course. Unfortunately the package
contains the Python interpreter (which is statically linked to the
library), but not the Python library itself, so it is useless to me.
That's why I've re-compiled it from the sources, made a shared library,
and at the same time build an interpreter that links to this library.
That way the interpreter itself is only 3kb large, and the library is
available for applications to link with. If someone of Riverbank
Computing is listening here, maybe they could consider doing this for
their next builds. It doesn't eat up extra space at all, open new
opportunities for developers, and fits well with the space-saving
philosophy of the Zaurus.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org