calendar lameness!

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Sat Jul 27 00:41:55 EDT 2002

Tim Roberts wrote:

> That's easy, too: the first Sunday after the first full moon after the
> vernal equinox.

That's the common rule of thumb but it's actually a little more complex
even than that.

"The calculation is complicated because it is linked to (an inaccurate
version of) the Hebrew calendar."

Also, upon further study, I find The Church's interest in making sure
Easter happens before Passover was not merely some kind of one-upmanship
but rather because it is understood to be a historical fact that Jesus was
executed just before Passover.

> Of course, that phrase is not so easily translated into a Python
> expression...

Curiously, it IS translateable into code that takes only the year as a
dependent variable.

Google( "calculating easter" ) will probably cover this in more detail
than anybody can stand.

Regards

--jb

--