Python, QT, PyQt in Windows

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Jul 26 05:25:30 EDT 2002

Pablo wrote:

> Hi, there.
> I am totally new in Python world(I started learning it from last
> weekend). I download the evaluation Python2.2 from Python.org. I
> download QT and PyQt, too. Now, my question is: how do I do Python
> program with QT or PyQt? In Python2.2, I have the IDLE, where I can do
> python program. But, in QT, the QT designer is for C++, in PyQt, there
> is no working environment at all. What do I need in order to take
> advantage of QT or PyQt when using Python?

1. Windows
2. Python
3. qt non-commercial edition (download at trolltech)
4. PyQt binaries for windows (download at riverbank)
5. Any editor -- I'd advice Scintilla.

You design your screens with Qt Designer (included with qt), compile
your screens with pyuic (included with PyQt, start from a dos box),
and edit your code with the editor.

You might want to take a look at BlackAdder, which includes everything
you need in one convenient package, is not terribly expensive, and really
should move out of beta soon... Originally, my book (pub. jan. 2002) was
intended to coincide with the release of BlackAdder 1.0 (may 2001).

> I saw a on-line book http://www.opendocs.org/pyqt/, but that is for
> Linux. I cannot follow the example in that book. Please, somebody who
> has the experience with Python, QT, PyQt in windows, tell me what I am
> supposed to do so that I can call the QT from Python.

Well, I spent quite a lot of time installing Windows, Qt-non-commercial,
BlackAdder and PyQt to test that out. The on-line version doesn't include
the screenshots (don't know why, though), so you'd better get the paper
version. I do spend a chapter giving the exact answers to your questions
above.