Any Python distribution solutions for Mac?

Dinu Gherman gherman at europemail.com
Tue Jul 16 08:01:36 EDT 2002

Rodney Somerstein wrote:

> The subject says it all. Is there any packaging mechanism for
> distributing Python applications on the Macintosh? I know that
> there is py2exe for Windows and that I can do similar things
> for Unix. But what about for the Macintosh?
>
> If not, is there anything planned? If so, when will it be avail-
> able?
>
> This, along with UI issues which wxPython is slowly taking care
> of on the Mac is one of the things that has kept me from using
> Python.

I wrote something to create "packages" (.pkg) on OS X.
All Apple update pacakges seem to use this kind of in-
staller. For some reason they are compressed using pax,
which is not always available on other platforms. Also,
my tool never handled multi-packages. And Installer.app
seems to give wrong install size estimates by definition,
but...

Yep, some people suggested to make a distutils adaptor
for it, but at the time that seemed too complicated to
me.

I haven't used it (buildpkg.py) for a while, but you
can get it here:

  http://python.net/~gherman/#buildpkg

Regards,

Dinu