Python and Parrot

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Sun Jul 14 15:49:43 EDT 2002

In the last exciting episode, Johann Höchtl <johann.hoechtl at myrealbox.com> wrote::
> I'm not advocating it, I only stumbled over
>
> http://cvs.sf.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/python/nondist/sandbox/parrot/

> and was wondering why work stopped as the papers of parrot look
> promising.

The code that exists is pretty neat.  Yes, I'd say it looks _quite_
promising.

The problem is that the prime people working on it need to put food on
their tables, and apparently the Perl community, while large, has not
found the ability to throw a few bucks at the critical programmers.

The guys who _were_ being funded by the "Perl Foundation" are trying
to scrabble up some alternative sources of funding so they can
continue work.  It's apparently not a trivial matter.

A not-so-idle idle thought:

It might be a neat idea, instead of buying a $40 book from some of
these folks that _maybe_ they get $2 out of, to go with the
online/electronic version and send them a $20 in the mail.

If a few thousand people did that, I suppose O'Reilly or Addison
Wesley might be somewhat chagrined, but it would certainly pump _your_
money more directly to the authors and "prime mover" types...
--
(concatenate 'string "chris" "@cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/fssp.html