a soft real-time system using python

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Wed Jul 31 15:04:15 EDT 2002

anton wilson <anton.wilson at camotion.com> wrote in
news:mailman.1028134302.18143.python-list at python.org:

> On Wednesday 31 July 2002 12:33 pm, anton wilson wrote:
>> If the soft-real-time system we use makes simple function calls and
>> only uses simple datatypes and possibly tuples, what are some of the
>> potential pitfalls we could run into? I understand the deallocation
>> issue and the garbage collection issue. (Does garbage collection have
>> to be enabled?) Can we somehow get an idea on the worse case time
>> delays in python using only simple function calls and assignments
>> with small tuples and simple datatypes?
>

> For further information, we're already having a certain problem where
> python threads seem to drastically decrease performance in the middle
> of the program for around a second. Garbage collection has been
> disabled, but it's possible that there is some other behind-the-scenes
> work that Python is doing. What other things should we be worrying
> about? I need a more complete understanding of what can happen or is
> happening that would affect consistent running of a python program.

i've never experienced such an effect. delays of a second seem a bit
high...
are you doing IO? are other processes running (that possibly do lots of IO,
runing a JAVA with GC or so)? then look also in the syslog if you see some
activity of daemons during the time you experience the effect.

from what machine are we speaking anyway? can you tell some RAM, MHz
figures, OS (linux, but which)?

have you tried to construct a program to show that effect? a programm that
does the least possible but still having that effect, that should help to
identify the problem.

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>