Do GUIs for DBs exist?

François Lepoutrre francois.lepoutre at seriatim.com
Fri Jul 19 06:01:01 EDT 2002

> the other day, and I was thinking: hey, wouldn't it be
> great if it had a GUI like MSAccess

Sure i'd like to hear about people delivering apps
such as the ones you can create with ms-access.

My understanding is that python is a wonderfull clean
environment to deliver pretty server-side servlets and
calculation-intensive apps of all kinds.

"Data-and-ui" -intensive apps are still very much of
a a win32 specialty with (not looking for flame here...)
vb6, vc,  delphi, vfp and others.

Python is possibly still missing the kind of data-driven
environment that you find in products such as ms access,
dbase, foxpro, paradox and other stuff.

Being an occasionnal user of those products i doubt that
these products could be replicabled in a python world
as they imply an intimate coupling between
the db-engine (generally a local one), a set of native
data-aware components and a scripting environment.

What would be welcome is some kind of generic model
for data-aware wxpython components including
dynamic data-grids, combos and others.

Anyone working on this?

My 2 cents.

Gerhard Häring wrote in message ...
>* Mark Carter <cartermark46 at ukmail.com> [2002-07-18 12:51 -0700]:
>> I was using PySqlite (a module that interfaces Python with the SQLite
>> database ) the other day, and I was thinking: hey, wouldn't it be
>> great if it had a GUI like MSAccess.
>
>Isn't the main point of access was it's relatively easy to combine its
>SQL engine with forms and that it includes the development environment
>to do so?
>
>Is that what you were referring to or were you only thinking about an
>admin interface for the database?
>
>Gerhard
>--
>mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
>web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930
>public key fingerprint: 3FCC 8700 3012 0A9E B0C9  3667 814B 9CAA AD24 C930
>reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,map(lambda
x:chr(ord(x)^42),tuple('zS^BED\nX_FOY\x0b')))