Embedding Python the extreme way

Wolfgang Draxinger wdraxinger at darkstargames.de
Wed Jul 10 09:12:03 EDT 2002

Gerhard Haering wrote:
> In article <3D2C2BEB.2040803 at darkstargames.de>, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
>
>>Michael Hudson wrote:
>>
>>>For getting rid of builtin functions, why bother?
>>
>>Because some of them can mess up all.

> Don't you provide the Python scripts yourself? If you want to expose your
> app to users and you want to restrict what they can do with the
> interpreter, you can check out the rexec and Bastion modules.

Of course games developed by me will contain error free scripts.
However my engine is called even. extendible virtual environment
(e)ngine. That means, that every user can build own things. Onother
thing is, that I provide a console running in python interactive mode.
If there were all python modules open cheating would be the easiest
thing to do. And another important thing is security:
Players are allowed in multiplayer environments to pass their own
equipment, player models etc. together with the scripts to the server.
Thus limiting access to game specific tasks is a must!

> Basically forking the Python source sounds like overkill.

I don't want to fork whole python, just some builtin modules.

| +----------------+ WOLFGANG DRAXINGER          |
| | ,-.   DARKSTAR | lead programmer             |
| |(   ) +---------+ wdraxinger at darkstargames.de |
| | `-' / GAMES /                                |
| +----+''''''''     http://www.darkstargames.de |