Solaris 9, python 2.1.3, find

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 26 09:36:30 EDT 2002

Marc Petitmermet <petitmermet at mat.ethz.ch> writes:

> I have a new SunBlade 100 with Solaris 9 and the latest patches for this
> OS installed. Now I'd like to install python 2.1.3 from source with
> tkinter enabled. Although I have correctly configured Modules/Setup to
> point to the correct location of the libraries and header files of
> tcl/tk, the compilation (./python setup.py build) stops with telling me
> that "libtk8.3.so: open failed: No such file or directory".

[...]
> the library cannot be found although it is located in
> /usr/local/tk8.3.4/lib/libtk8.3.so.

Leaving the issues of symbolic links alone, I'm not surprised that
Solaris won't find the shared library. With the -L option, you only
specify the path for the static linker (ld(1)); at run-time, you need
a different mechanism to find it. The most common mechanisms are:
- set LD_LIBRARY_PATH at run-time,
- set LD_RUN_PATH at compile-time,
- use -R options (see ld(1)),
- use crle(1).