dir() shows strange behaviour with VPython

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat Jul 13 05:11:43 EDT 2002

Gregor Lingl wrote:

> I thought to understand the dir() function, but...

dir() is somewhat in transition between Python 2.1 and 2.2.
Not sure what Python level should be installed with Visual-06-14.
It does matter which exact level you did install, and on which
platform, though.

I just downloaded and installed Visual-2002-07-07 on top of
my Python 2.2.1 but the s.__members__ access, and thus also
dir(s), just kills the Python interactive session stone dead
with 'Aborted' as the only message.  Maybe the 06-14 version
had its own problems -- not quite as serious as 07-07's (at
least with Python 2.2.1 on Mandrake Linux 8.2:-) but enough
to give the anomalies you observe.

(It's also possible that I made some mistake in installation,
of course, but I closely followed the specific instructions
for Mandrake on the "additional info" page of Visual).

Alex