Mastering Regular Expressions 2nd Ed.

Kristian Ovaska kristian.ovaska at helsinki.fi
Sat Jul 27 05:10:00 EDT 2002

"David LeBlanc" <whisper at oz.net>:
>> It's strange that while regular languages are a small subset of real,
>> Turing-complete languages,
>I may be wrong about this, but I don't think regular expressions qualify as
>turing complete. No branching for one thing...

You're right and that's what I ment, too. "Language A is a subset of
B" means that everything you can express in A you can also express in
B, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

Regular languages are rather limited: they can't even recognize
balanced parenthesis: (), (()), ((())), etc.

--
Kristian Ovaska <kristian.ovaska at helsinki.fi>