there's no DefaultHandler

a64bs4$1oo$1@newsreader.mailgate.org eugene1977 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 16 12:41:18 EDT 2002

hi. i'm trying to run my first python program
i'm using python 2.2

[eugene at eugene python]$ python firstxml.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "firstxml.py", line 6, in ?
    class FindIssue(xml.sax.DefaultHandler):
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'DefaultHandler'

#!/usr/bin/python

from xml.sax import saxutils
import xml

class FindIssue(xml.sax.DefaultHandler):
    def __init__(self, title, number):
        self.search_title, self.search_number = title, number

def startElement(self, name, attrs):
    # If it's not a comic element, ignore it
    if name != 'comic': return

    # Look for the title and number attributes (see text)
    title = attrs.get('title', None)
    number = attrs.get('number', None)
    if (title == self.search_title and
        number == self.search_number):
        print title, '#' + str(number), 'found'

from xml.sax import make_parser
from xml.sax.handler import feature_namespaces

if __name__ == '__main__':
    # Create a parser
    parser = make_parser()

    # Tell the parser we are not interested in XML namespaces
    parser.setFeature(feature_namespaces, 0)

    # Create the handler
    dh = FindIssue('Sandman', '62')

    # Tell the parser to use our handler
    parser.setContentHandler(dh)

    # Parse the input
    parser.parse("samplexml")

if i change DefaultHandler to handler
i get this error

[eugene at eugene python]$ python firstxml.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "firstxml.py", line 35, in ?
    dh = FindIssue('Sandman', '62')
TypeError: 'module' object is not callable

thank you