Tkinter vs. wxPython

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 18 17:50:29 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 14:19, Gabe Newcomb wrote:
> Ack!
> 	I've been trying to get into wxPython, but I'm finding the lack
> of documentation difficult. There's some, and I'm very grateful for
> everybody who's contributed it, but I'm somebody who really likes having
> a decent reference and more examples.

The wxPython docs are indeed terse.  However, used in combination with
the wxPython demo, they should be adequate (there's also a wxPython
mailing list and a wiki with example code to draw from - see
http://www.wxpython.org).

> My question is this: is there any compelling reason I shouldn't just go
> with Tkinter instead? I work (for now) exclusively on Win32 boxes, by
> the way.

Tkinter has the advantage of running out-of-the-box with Python.  It's
also been around a while and is very stable.  However, it also looks
like a misfit on whatever platform you are using it on (except perhaps
CDE/Motif).  wxPython has the advantages of a native look-and-feel (it
uses the platform's underlying widget set rather than creating its own)
and a richer widget set.  That said, it also has a higher learning
curve.  However, Tkinter's simplicity can become a liability when you
get into more complex applications.

IMHO with wxPython you pay the price early (the learning curve) whereas
with Tkinter you pay the price later (working around a somewhat
simplistic toolkit).

Undoubtedly others will have different opinions, but that's my $0.02
worth.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)