Tkinter vs. wxPython

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Fri Jul 19 02:19:54 EDT 2002

"Darrell" <dgallion1 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:qBLZ8.168518$GY.55207952 at twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> I'm not a GUI expert...
> But today I needed to do a quick image viewer tool. This is what I found.
>
> Tkinter makes smaller exe's
>
> PMW which wraps Tkinter seems impossible to wrap as an exe.
>
> AFIK wxPython wants to display images from BMP's. They dont look very
good.
> They were slow and crashed. My images are 40+ meg.

What do you mean wants to display images from BMPs? Could it be you are
confusing the wxBitmap class with BMPs? wxPython supports most popular image
formats (here's an incomplete list of extensions): BMP, GIF, JPG/JPEG, PCX,
PNG, PNM, TIF/TIFF, XBM, and XPM. Note that wxPython can't write GIFs due to
licensing restrictions but it can read GIFs.

The pictureViewer sample that comes with PythonCard can open all of these.

> Tkinter has some nice Photo image stuff. Although I haven't figured out
how
> most of it works.

Another possibility is to convert PIL images to wxPython wxImage or wxBitmap
classes. That gives you the best of both worlds. PIL has some built-in image
manipulation that isn't available in wxPython without using some additional
libraries or coding up the image processing yourself. It is also possible to
convert between NumPy arrays and wxPython wxImage or wxBitmap classes.

ka