Chinese language support of Python?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Jul 6 15:25:28 EDT 2002

Leon Wang wrote:

> How can enable Chinese language support of Python? In IDLE, even can
> not save the source file if contain any >128 ASCII code charactors. I
> want to set the Window title in Chinese, but the bit7 is masked by
> Tkinter:

> root.title('中文') # this is Chinese

Well, this isn't Chinese -- at least not when it arrived at my
server, but probably not even when it originated with you, because
I see your headers advertise ISO-8859-1 as the encoding. It's plain
string that contains an assortment of ampersands, hash marks, semicolons
and numbers in an order that hasn't much meaning.

If you use _real_ unicode -- for instance
 root.title(u'\u028A\u0288') # no chinese, because of lacking fonts, but IPA
then everything works fine -- at least, with my window manager, on my OS.