Solaris 9, python 2.1.3, find

Marc Petitmermet petitmermet at mat.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 26 08:18:28 EDT 2002

I have a new SunBlade 100 with Solaris 9 and the latest patches for this
OS installed. Now I'd like to install python 2.1.3 from source with
tkinter enabled. Although I have correctly configured Modules/Setup to
point to the correct location of the libraries and header files of
tcl/tk, the compilation (./python setup.py build) stops with telling me
that "libtk8.3.so: open failed: No such file or directory".

And now to the funny things: If I issue the command

  find /usr/local -name libtk8.3.so -print

the library cannot be found although it is located in
/usr/local/tk8.3.4/lib/libtk8.3.so. If I do the following:

  find /usr/local -follow -name libtk8.3.so -print

the library is found. The man page for "find" states that follow is
"Always true. Causes symbolic  links  to  be  followed". I think that
this is not true because in may case /usr/local is a link to /p1/local
on a second disk.

If "find" cannot find the libraries with the default options I wander if
python can follow links. Of course I can enter "-L/p1/local/tk8.3.4/lib"
in the Setup file but it really should also work with links.

Is this a python or Solaris 9 problem or did I something wrong with
setting up the second disk? Any hints are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Marc