why not "'in' in 'in'"?

Daniel Fackrell dfackrell at DELETETHIS.linuxmail.org
Thu Jun 13 13:07:03 EDT 2002

When all else fails, lets try throwing in some newbie exploration:

Python 2.2 (#28, Dec 21 2001, 12:21:22) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
IDLE 0.8 -- press F1 for help
>>> print type("a")
<type 'str'>
>>> print type("ab")
<type 'str'>
>>> print type([1])
<type 'list'>
>>> print type([1,2])
<type 'list'>
>>> print type(1)
<type 'int'>
>>> if "a" in "ab":
    print "yes"
else:
    print "no"

yes
>>> if [1] in [1, 2]:
    print "yes"
else:
    print "no"

no
>>> if 1 in [1, 2]:
    print "yes"
else:
    print "no"

yes

I can see the rationale here, as there isn't really a "character" type in
Python.  So what the "in" operator does in the case of a string as the
second operand is check the first operand to see if it can be interpreted as
a element of a string, which would be a character.

It does in fact appear to be inconsistent, but I'll have to leave it up to
people who know more about what they are doing than myself to figure out
what to do about it, if anything.  I'm not sure that the ideas that come to
mind (creating an actual "character" type or modifying the behavior as
proposed since we really have an exception here already) are any good.

--
Daniel Fackrell (dfackrell at linuxmail.org)
When we attempt the impossible, we can experience true growth.

news:aeadtt06rq at drn.newsguy.com...